Advanced Archimedes Waveswing
AWS Ocean Energy Ltd
4c Engineering, Evergreen Innovations Ltd, Black & Veatch Ltd, 4c Design Ltd, Orcades Marine Management Consultants Ltd, Aquatera Ltd
The advanced Archimedes Waveswing™ is a submerged heaving point absorber Wave Energy Converter designed for offshore wave energy production and this project further investigated the potential of this device. The project work focussed on detailed investigation of possible improvements to the device, further concept engineering, resolution of technical challenges and completion of preparations for a potential partial‐scale at‐sea prototype deployment.
The Stage 1 project identified revised configurations which offered potential for significant improvements to the economic performance of the Archimedes Waveswing™ WEC whilst also expected to reduce technical risk. The Stage 2 project objective was to confirm the feasibility of the improved configurations and to prepare for a potential Stage 3 project involving at-sea demonstration of a partial-scale prototype.
The specific objectives of the project were to:
- Resolve the technology challenges identified during Stage 1;
- Update concept engineering for new configuration and generate cost estimates based on the revised designs;
- Improve the numerical model for the device and validate against experimental data in order to allow performance optimisation and controller development;
- Conduct performance and survival testing for the revised configuration at model scale;
- Update the LCOE assessment based on revised designs, costs, performance and operational data;
- Prepare for a Stage 3 project including completion of front-end engineering design for a partial scale prototype.
NWEC Stage 2 Public Report which focuses on detailed investigation of possible improvements to the device, further concept engineering and resolution of technical challenges.View Details