International Metrics Development
Wave Energy Scotland Ltd
Metrics present a measure of success, to support technology development programmes and enable management of competitive innovation calls (such as the Wave Energy Scotland programme) to select the most promising technologies. The main goal of metrics development is to demonstrate success and progress in technology development, allow comparisons across different funding schemes and enable ocean energy technologies to be demonstrated and compared globally.
To gain the full benefit of the ability to measure success and fund the most successful projects, it is imperative to have cross-sector approval of metrics so that everyone has the same understanding of what success in the ocean energy industry looks like.
Wave Energy Scotland has been involved in international collaboration for 3 reasons:
- To avoid duplication of funding
- To encourage collaboration between international bodies
- To foster standardisation of the benchmarks of success in ocean energy
The collaboration so far has seen 3 workshops on Metrics:
- February 2016 workshop was a collaboration with WES and US DoE on “WEC technology requirement specification and performance metrics”
- September 2016 workshop was run by EERA Ocean Energy Joint Programme, Ocean ERA-NET and the International Energy Agency OES, and facilitated by WES on “Stage Gate Metrics for Ocean Energy Technology Development”
- November 2017 workshop delivered by Wave Energy Scotland on behalf of and funded by the Ocean ERA-NET “Ocean Energy Stage Gate Metrics Validation Workshop”
This report presents the process and outputs from a workshop held to identify and agree a measurable set of suitable metrics with minimum numerical thresholds, which can support a list of wave energy converter system requirements.View Details
This report summarises the outcomes of the workshop including: A description of the format of the workshop and its breakout sessions, the discussions which took place, and concludes with the metrics and success thresholds agreed.View Details
This report presents the results from a workshop held to validate a set of stage gate metrics for ocean energy technology development programmes. This workshop is the third in a series of workshops which form part of an ongoing collaboration in defining stage gate metrics. This was delivered by Wave Energy Scotland on behalf of and funded by the OCEANERA-NET.View Details